MaineHealth Summer Internship Program
The MaineHealth Summer Internship Program provides a terrific opportunity for students to gain valuable insight and hands-on experience within Maine's largest healthcare system. We take pride in the high-quality work that our summer interns produce and pay a competitive hourly rate.
Interns are paired with a MaineHealth employee who will be their preceptor and mentor for the summer. The preceptor will assign tasks and projects to the student. In addition to working closely with their preceptor, the interns will attend several learning sessions throughout the summer - including discussions with MaineHealth senior leaders, informative presentations about how to write effective resumes and cover letters, and mock-interview sessions to practice answering behavior-based interview questions.
- Invaluable experience
- Professional development, educational sessions and networking events in partnership with FocusMaine
- 10 week session, from June to early August
MaineHealth Non-Clinical Track
- This track is focused on non-clinical positions throughout the MaineHealth system including at our corporate office in Portland, Maine.
- Location: MaineHealth organizations across the state of Maine
- Application Period: January – March
Maine Medical Center Research Institute Track
- This track is focused on student biomedical research projects and learning scientific research skills.
- Location: Various MMCRI basic science labs and Maine Medical Center clinical departments
- Application Period: December – February
- Applications: The timeline to apply for this internship program is February 1 – March 15. Late applications will not be considered.
- Interviews: Preceptors conduct interviews and select their intern(s) in March and April. *Interviews may be completed via phone or Skype if the student is unable to attend an in-person interview.
- Hiring and On-Boarding: Students complete the hiring and on-boarding process in April and May. *You will need to be able to come to Portland for some of the on-boarding process.
- Orientation: A mandatory Intern orientation takes place on in early June
- Internship: Interns work and learn 20-40 hours per week with their preceptor June – August.
- Final Presentation: All interns are required to present a summary of their internship at the end of the summer.
To be considered for a MaineHealth Summer Internship position, students must be in good academic standing and currently enrolled (full-time or part-time) at an accredited educational institution (college, university, graduate school, medical school, etc.).
Things to Consider
- There are several hiring/onboarding tasks that will happen April - May. The student will need to be in Portland, ME for some of these tasks.
- Interns are also required to attend an intern orientation session in early June before they can officially start their internship at MaineHealth.