MaineHealth provides terrific internship opportunities for students to gain valuable insight and hands-on experience within Maine's largest healthcare system. We take pride in the high-quality work that our summer interns produce and pay a competitive hourly rate.
Interns are paired with a MaineHealth employee who will be their preceptor and mentor for the summer. The preceptor will assign tasks and projects to the student. In addition to working closely with their preceptor, the interns will attend several learning & professional development sessions throughout the summer, including discussions with MaineHealth senior leaders, informative presentations about how to write effective resumes and cover letters, and mock-interview sessions to practice answering behavior-based interview questions. At the end of the internship program, each intern will have the opportunity to present a summary of the work they accomplished throughout the summer.
- Applications: The timeline to apply for this internship program is January - March. Late applications will not be considered.
- Interviews: Preceptors conduct interviews and select their intern(s) March - April. *Interviews may be completed via phone or Skype if the student is unable to attend an in-person interview.
- Hiring & on-boarding: Students complete the hiring and on-boarding process April - May. *You will need to be able to come to Portland for some of the on-boarding process.
- Orientation: A mandatory Intern orientation takes place in early June
- Internship: Interns work and learn 20-40 hours per week with their preceptor June - August.
- Final presentation: All interns are required to present a summary of their internship at the end of the summer.
To be considered for a MaineHealth internship position, students must be in good academic standing and currently enrolled (full-time or part-time) at an accredited educational institution (college, university, graduate school, medical school, etc.).
Thank you for your interest in the summer internship program at MaineHealth. After careful consideration, and with the best interests of our team members, our patients and our communities in mind, we have decided to put the summer internship program on hold this year. It is our full intent to resume the program again next year. Please check back in early 2021 for more information.
We encourage you to join the MaineHealth Talent Community at www.careersatmainehealth.org. By Joining our Talent Community you will stay informed of new opportunities as they are made available. We look forward to keeping in touch with you.
MMCRI - Maine Medical Center Research Institute
Things to consider
- There are several hiring & on boarding tasks to be completed April - May. The student will need to be in Portland, ME for some of these tasks.
- Interns are also required to attend an intern orientation session in early June before they can officially start their internship at MaineHealth.