It's normal for children to feel anxious and have a lot of questions during times of crisis. Guidelines for parents include:
- Remaining calm and reassuring
- Being available to discuss and providing ongoing affection
- Avoiding blame of others
- Limiting excessive media exposure and clarifying misconceptions
- Maintaining normal routines where possible
- Providing accurate information
- Setting a good hygiene example (handwashing and sneezing/coughing into elbow)
- Communicating with schools
Read on for more family preparedness tools and guidance.
Talking with Children
- The Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds:
- National Association of School Psychologists: Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource
- Child Mind Institute: Talking to Kids About Coronavirus "How to be open with children to help relieve their worry." View video.