What is a Health Career Pipeline?
We want to keep Mainers healthy, Pipeline is an effort to reach out to diverse youth and young adults in all Maine communities to enhance and stimulate an interest in health careers and encourage individuals to keep those careers in Maine.
How do we do this?
We offer programming and experiences to interested students. These students can range from grade school through college.
What do we offer?
The Health Career Pipeline Program offers a variety of opportunities and experiences which include:
Opportunities Within the MaineHealth System
Below are some of the opportunities available to help you pursue a health career:
- Learn more here about becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Learn more here about enrolling in the School of Surgical Technology
- Learn more here about the MaineTrack MD program
- Learn more here about jobs at MaineHealth
- Follow “MaineHealth Careers” on Facebook to learn more about career fairs and upcoming events
Please contact Janell Lewis, Health Career Pipeline Program Manager either by phone, (207) 662-8751 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shadowing a health care provider is a great way to get a better understanding of various health professions. The process for shadowing begins with:
- You must be 16 years or older
- Please note we cannot help medical students with shadowing experiences, at this time.
- Email Health Career Pipeline with your detailed interest in shadowing, along with these 2 completed forms:
- Vaccinations, please note this form includes proof of negative Tuberculosis status, which is required for all shadows and can take some time to have completed.
- Once the Manager, Health Career Pipeline gets your email and completed forms, you will be contacted.
- Surgery shadows require additional paperwork which will be sent if a surgery shadow is requested.
- Please note, at this time, surgery shadows will take longer to fulfill.
- Every attempt will be made to accommodate shadowing requests, but please note this process can take at least 3-6 weeks to complete.
With shadowing, comes many frequently asked questions. Learn about what to bring to your first day of shadowing, how to dress appropriately, and other beneficial tips by looking over this Shadowing FAQ PDF. Following the tips on this PDF will help you make the most out of your shadowing experience.
Send completed forms to Janell Lewis detailing what type of shadow experience you are seeking. It’s always good to offer a few options.
Mentor and Mentee Preparation
Mentoring and being mentored can have a profound and positive impact on both the mentor and the mentee. Learn about the responsibilities and expectations of both a mentor and mentee by looking over this Mentor/Mentee FAQ PDF. If you are interested in being a mentor, contact Janell Lewis
Medical Explorers Program
The Medical Explorers Program will start again in late March 2019 and is currently full. If you have an interest in participating in our fall 2019 program or have questions, please email Janell Lewis.
Finance Authority of Maine (FAME): This resource provides loan repayment options for those wanting to live and work in Maine. Look under Maine Grants and Loan Programs
Association of American Medical Colleges: Everything you need to know about medical schools.
STEM Sisters: University of Southern Maine project to help girls in Portland, Maine learn more about careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
Medline Plus Health Occupations: Learn about the many health careers available.
Explore Health Careers: See which health career is best for you.
Medical Mentor: Are you a struggling Maine college student looking for guidance on attending medical school? This resource can help.
Becoming a Nurse
Becoming a Health Information Technologist