Temporary Visitor Restrictions
Consistent with our commitment to help prevent further community spread of COVID-19, Maine Medical Center (MMC) is implementing temporary measures at all MMC locations and Maine Medical Partners practices. These measures are effective March 21, 2020 at 6 am.
No visitors are permitted on Maine Medical Center campus, except the following:
- Pediatrics (one parent/guardian at a time allowed)
- NICU/Continuing Care Nursery (two parents/guardians allowed)
- Obstetrics (one spouse/birthing partner allowed in labor and delivery area)
- Day Surgery – often called outpatient or ambulatory surgery (one person involved in care)
- End of Life (one visitor at a time for patients likely to die within 24 hours (all areas)
- Extraordinary circumstances (one person at a time), if presence is necessary for communication with care team or patient support ((e.g., patient with disabilities). The determination may be made only by attending physician or designee, and record in the medical record, if feasible)
Patient Discharges: One person allowed for the purpose of picking up a patient for discharge.
Emergency Department/Ambulatory/Outpatient Procedural Areas: One person allowed as an escort, only if the patient requires their help with mobility, support or communication with care team, such necessity to be determined by triage or care providers. Escorts will be encouraged to drop-off patients when possible.
For all exceptions permitted above, only one person over the age of 18 may be on Maine Medical Center campus to visit/escort/accept discharge of a patient.
All visitors/escorts are subject to screening. Visitors/escorts with respiratory symptoms will not be allowed to enter Maine Medical Center facilities. Visitor/escorts must 1) perform hand hygiene prior to entering and upon leaving the patient’s room/care area; and 2) remain at least six feet from the patient at all times (as much as possible).
These restrictions are for the protection of patients, employees, visitors, and the public, and consistent with guidance from governmental authorities, and are adopted for the purpose of reducing the potential for propagation of the COVID-19 virus. These restrictions are imposed by order of MMC’s President and Chief Medical Officer.
- Patients and visitors can only enter the hospital through the main entrance and the P8 connector from the visitor garage; clinics and offices will also have designated entrances for patients and visitors
- Emergency Department entrance is for patients and visitors requiring emergency care only
- Patients and visitors will be screened for health upon entry at designated entrances.
Public Conferences and Meetings:
- All community meetings and events open to the public scheduled to be held at MMC or Maine Medical Partners locations are suspended and closed to the public.
Thank you for your cooperation with these temporary measures and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Get the latest MaineHealth COVID-19 updates.