Thank you for your interest in the Junior Volunteer Program at Maine Medical Center! The Junior Volunteer program offers high school youth an opportunity to gain experience in a healthcare setting while learning new skills and giving back to their community. Areas Junior Volunteers may serve in include: Retail Shops, Information Desk/Escort, Cafeteria, Mail Room, Admitting, Hospital Elder Life, and Volunteer Services.
2019 Program Highlights
- The Junior Program begins June 24 and ends August 16, 2019.
- Junior Volunteers will be assigned to two departments for the duration of the 8 week program.
- Junior Volunteers serving their first year in the program will likely be placed in a food services or retail setting for at least one of their two assignments. Assignment preference is given to Returning Junior Volunteers serving in their 3rd or 4th year. Placement in a specific hospital department cannot be guaranteed.
- If accepted, applicants are required to complete all steps of the application process by the deadline dates. It is imperative that applicants check their email frequently for updates and communications on next steps.
- There will be no exceptions.
To be considered, an applicant must:
- Be a high school student, entering freshman through senior year in fall 2019.
- Have the ability to volunteer from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm on the same weekday for the duration of the program. A minimum of 50 service hours are required.
- Show a willingness to accept assignments with a positive attitude.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator in February during school vacation (invitations will be sent via email to selected students).
If accepted into the program:
- New Juniors must attend Orientation on Tuesday, June 11th, 3:30 – 5:30 pm.
- Returning Juniors must attend Orientation on Thursday, June 13th, 3:30-5:30 pm.
Applications for the 2019 program will open January 18, 2019 at 3 pm and close January 24, 2019 at 4 pm. Only FULLY COMPLETED application packets will be considered (fully completed means the online application form and all signed application documents). To begin the 2019 Summer Junior Volunteer application process on January 18, click on the appropriate button below.
The 2019 Summer Junior Volunteer application process is closed.