Thank you for your interest in the Junior Volunteer Program at Maine Medical Center! The Junior Volunteer program offers high school students an opportunity to gain experience in a healthcare setting while learning new skills and giving back to their community. Junior Volunteers may serve in areas such as: Retail Shops, Information Desk, Cafeteria, Mail Room, Admitting, Hospital Elder Life, Volunteer Services as well as some clinical areas.
2019 Program Highlights
- The Junior Program begins June 24 and ends August 16, 2019.
- Junior Volunteers will be assigned to two departments for the duration of the 8 week program.
- Junior Volunteers serving their first year in the program will likely be placed in a food services or retail setting for at least one of their two assignments. Assignment preference is given to Returning Junior Volunteers serving in their 3rd or 4th year. Placement in a specific hospital department cannot be guaranteed.
- If accepted, applicants are required to complete all steps of the application process by the deadline dates.
- There will be no exceptions.
To be considered, an applicant must:
- Be a high school student, entering freshman through senior year in fall 2019.
- Have the ability to volunteer from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm on the same weekday for the duration of the program. A minimum of 50 service hours are required.
- Show a willingness to accept assignments with a positive attitude.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator in February during school vacation (invitations will be sent via email to selected students).
If accepted into the program:
- New Juniors must attend Orientation on Tuesday, June 11th, 3:30-5:30 pm. This is a mandatory program requirement.
- Returning Juniors must attend Orientation on Thursday, June 13th, 3:30-5:30 pm. This is a mandatory program requirement.
- Applications for the 2019 program will be posted here online Friday, January 18th at 3 pm!
- Applications will close Thursday, January 24th at 4 pm.
- At that time you must complete the Online Application and sign the application documents (both the student and parent) and email those to us
We regret that we may have fewer openings than applicants, and therefore cannot guarantee that you will be accepted into the program. Please bear that in mind when applying. Thank you.
How to Apply
Applications will be online January 18, 2019 at 3 pm