Thank you for your interest in the Junior Volunteer program at Maine Medical Center! The program offers high school students an opportunity to gain experience in a healthcare setting while learning new skills and giving back to their community. Some areas Junior Volunteers may serve in include: retail shops, information desk, escort, cafeteria, admitting, hospital elder life, and other clinical areas as well as office environments throughout the hospital.
2020 Program Highlights
- The Junior Program begins June 22 and ends August 14, 2020.
- Junior Volunteers will be assigned to one day each week and will volunteer in two departments on their assigned day during the eight week program.
- Junior Volunteers serving their first year in the program will likely be placed in a food services or retail setting for at least one of their two assignments. Assignment preference is given to Returning Junior Volunteers serving in their 3rd or 4th year. Placement in a specific hospital department cannot be guaranteed.
- If accepted, applicants are required to complete all steps of the application process by the deadline dates. It is imperative that applicants check their email frequently for updates and communications on next steps.
- There will be no exceptions.
To be considered, an applicant must:
- Be a high school student, entering freshman through senior year in fall 2020.
- Have the ability to volunteer from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm on the same weekday for the duration of the program. A minimum of 50 service hours are required.
- Show a willingness to accept assignments with a positive attitude.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator in February during school vacation (invitations will be sent via email to selected students).
If accepted into the program:
- New Juniors must attend orientation on Tuesday, June 9, 2020 from 3:30 – 5:30 pm.
- Returning Juniors must attend orientation on Thursday, June 11, 2020 from 3:30-5:30 pm.
The application period for the 2020 program will open on January 16, 2020 at 3 pm and close January 24, 2020 at 4 pm. Only FULLY COMPLETED application packets will be considered (fully completed means the online application form and all signed application documents).