Boothbay Harbor and Damariscotta Maine – St. Andrews Urgent Care Center will begin treating patients again on Wednesday, May 28. The Center’s hours will be from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.Read More
Arm pain symptoms depend on the location, type, and severity
- Arm redness
- Swollen lymph nodes under the arm
- Sharp pain
- Muscle weakness
- Visible deformity
- Difficulty moving the arm
Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms associated with arm pain. Sometimes arm pain or weakness is a symptom of a serious problem with the heart, nerves, or brain.
Arm pain diagnosis may include X-rays, blood tests
In order to implement proper treatment, your doctor will first need to diagnose the underlying cause of arm pain. A medical history and physical exam will be conducted to find out your activities, potential injuries, and symptoms. Some methods of diagnosis include:
- Performing specific motions to evaluate your range of motion to identify the location and cause of potential injuries or pain
- Blood tests
- X-rays to help diagnose broken or fractured bones
- If your doctor thinks your arm pain is associated with potential heart complications, tests may be ordered to see how your heart is working and to evaluate the blood flow through your heart.
- Ultrasounds to detect problems with joints, ligaments, and tendons.
- MRIs and CT scans to get a more detailed image of soft tissue and bones.
Arm pain treatment can include physical therapy
- Prescription medicine
- Anti-inflammatory medications, such as Alleve
- Physical therapy to restore arm strength and range of motion
- Surgery may be necessary in severe cases of arm pain
Treatments for arm pain depend on the underlying cause.
Arm pain prevention can include stretching, exercise
While not all arm pain can be avoided, there are some preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the risk of arm pain altogether. Some prevention strategies include:
- Stretch regularly before exercise and sports
- Practice the correct form for the exercises you’re performing to prevent injury
- Wear protective equipment while playing sports
- Engage in physical activity daily
- Lift objects carefully and with proper form