Women's Imaging Services
What are women’s imaging services?
Women’s imaging services provide diagnosis and assessment of conditions specific to women.
Here are some examples of women’s imaging services.
- Mammography is an X-ray of the breasts. A mammogram can show doctors the inside of the breast. Mammograms are used to look for breast cancer.
- Bone density tests look at calcium levels in the bones using a special imaging machine. The machine gives off low dose X-rays to evaluate how strong bones are. Women are at higher risk than men of developing osteoporosis, a weakening of the bones.
- Breast ultrasounds are another way of evaluating breasts. They use sonar technology to detect how the breasts absorb and rebound sound. They can tell whether a breast lump is filled with fluid (cyst) or is solid.
- Breast MRIs use magnets and radio waves to evaluate a specific region of the breast. Breast MRIs may be done in addition to mammograms or breast ultrasounds.
- Ultrasound and MRI breast biopsy involves taking tissue samples of the breast to further diagnose any breast problems.
Ask your provider which service is right for you.
Early detection is key to treatment
Early breast cancer detection can save lives. Contact your provider if you believe you are at risk for breast cancer and want to get a mammography.
Complete OB/GYN care
MaineHealth provides obstetrics and gynecology services at doctor’s offices, specialty clinics and community hospitals. The OB-GYNs at MaineHealth provide women’s reproductive care that is skilled and compassionate.