Healthy Lifestyles - Diabetes Prevention
This WOW! Health & Wellbeing program is available at no cost to all MaineHealth employees and spouses/partners who are covered by the MaineHealth medical insurance plan. Healthy Lifestyles is a diabetes prevention program from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. It teaches lifestyle changes to prevent Type 2 diabetes. This year-long program will help you:
• Learn how to eat healthier, be more physically active and manage stress
• Develop skills to make healthier choices to lose weight
• Get the long-term support you need to stick with the changes
Please note: This program is not designed for people who have already been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
What is the meeting format?
The Healthy Lifestyles program meets for one year: once a week for 16 weeks, then bi-monthly or monthly for the rest of the year. A trained lifestyle coach will provide guidance and encouragement throughout the program. Classes are one-hour, and will be held at the same time and place each week.
Am I at risk for pre-diabetes?
You may have pre-diabetes and be at risk for Type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of Type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
Take a quiz to see if you are at risk.