Patients & Visitors
Visitor Restrictions - Effective June 16, 2020
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health of our patients, visitors and employees, we have temporarily updated our visitor policy. Effective June 16, 2020, the following restrictions on visiting/escorting patients will be in place at all MaineHealth care locations.
VISITORS/ESCORTS are not permitted except for the following:
Hospital Inpatient Areas:
- Pediatrics (two parent/guardians at a time allowed in all areas)
- Obstetrics (one spouse/coach allowed in labor and delivery area)
- Critical Care (two immediate family members may visit daily) – visit times to be managed by the care team
- End of Life (up to four immediate family members may visit patients likely to expire within 24 hours (all areas) – visit times to be managed by the care team This permission is not to extend beyond one day.
- Extraordinary circumstances (one person), if presence is necessary for communication with care team. This determination to be made by the care team including nursing leadership or designee and the attending physician.
Outpatient Surgery and Procedural Areas:
- One person permitted in waiting area, provided waiting area space is sufficient to permit compliance with guidance on social distancing.
Emergency Department/Ambulatory/Diagnostics Areas:
- One person allowed as an escort, only if the patient requires their help with mobility or communication with care team, such necessity to be determined by triage or care providers. Escorts will be encouraged to drop-off and pick-up patients when possible.
- Patients will be brought to an appropriate entrance for pick up.
Screening and Masking
- All visitors/escorts are subject to screening. Visitors/escorts with respiratory symptoms will NOT be allowed to enter MaineHealth facilities.
- All visitor/escorts must:
- Perform hand hygiene prior to entering and upon leaving the patient’s room/care area;
- Wear a mask at all times in the facility; and
- Avoid going to any locations in the facility other than the room of the patient they are visiting.
This policy is an update to the Visitor Restrictions imposed on Friday, March 20, and will take effect Tuesday, June 16 and shall remain in effect until further notice. These restrictions are for the protection of patients, employees, visitors, and the public, and consistent with guidance from governmental authorities, and are adopted for the purpose of reducing the potential for propagation of the COVID-19 virus. These restrictions are imposed by order of the MaineHealth President and Chief Medical Officer. Thank you for your understanding, and please reach out to a staff member if you have any questions or concerns.