The anesthesiology residency at MMC is a categorical program that accepts five new residents a year. Starting intern year, residents have two months rotating with the anesthesia department.
At a Glance:
- 21 Residents- small program
- High clinical case load volume
- Over 50 staff anesthesiologists
- MMC – Referral base for over 1 million people
- 600 beds, 30 operating rooms
- Only Level I trauma center in Maine
- Regional leader – open heart surgery, kidney transplantation, pediatric surgery, OB and Neurosurgery
- Residents assigned advisors during PGY1 year.
- Meetings with advisors and program director every (6) months to assess progress and career plans
- State of the art simulation center
- Affiliated with Tufts University School of Medicine
- 100% Board pass rate
- Maine Medical Center prioritizes resident well-being.
- One of the only programs in the nation to provide call breaks to residents during their 24 hour call shift, Monday-Friday.
- PGY 1 Residents are given a day off during the beginning of the PGY1 year to allow them to set up appointment with local providers.
- Portland lifestyle – encourages wellness
- There is world-class hiking, sailing, skiing, and beaches, to name but a few, make this an attractive area in which to live and work.