We are Northern New England's Premier Teaching Hospital. Find out what it’s like.
The primary mission of our residency is to train competent, compassionate, and curious radiologists who can excel in either an academic or private practice setting. We are based at Maine Medical Center, a busy 637-bed teaching hospital and tertiary care center in Portland, Maine. Our program values align with that of our sponsoring institution, Maine Medical Center, which bases care upon six core values: patient-centered care, integrity, ownership, excellence, respect, and innovation. Maine Medical Center is a tertiary care center serving all residents of Maine and a large part of Northern New England, and includes the Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital.
Our program aims include:
- To train exceptionally competent and compassionate radiologists
- To expose residents to a wide diversity and volume of cases and procedures, working directly with teaching faculty
- To prepare residents for leadership roles, in either academic or clinical practice
- To teach strong teamwork and communication skills, through simulation activities and direct observation
- To expose residents to a wide variety of research and quality improvement experiences, and to foster a culture of curiosity
- To prepare residents for success on their board exams, with a robust core curriculum--including dedicated teaching in physics, and 11 hours of protected didactic time each week
On Diversity and Inclusion:
The Maine Medical Center Radiology Residency program is committed to providing a safe, diverse, and inclusive teaching environment for all of our radiology residents, applicants, staff, and students. We believe that promoting a diverse work force improves the academic environment for all of our learners and enhances our ability to provide compassionate and patient centered care to all patients and their families. We welcome and celebrate learners of all different cultural backgrounds, race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, and socioeconomic status. We believe that having varied experiences and diverse backgrounds will make us collectively stronger.
What makes our program unique:
- We have no fellows, so our residents are the top educational priority in our department, interpreting diagnostic cases and performing many hands-on procedures.
- Our outstanding faculty enjoy and are dedicated to teaching, and residents have close faculty mentors.
- We are a categorical program, so all radiology interns work at Maine Medical Center, enabling them to spend two months in the radiology department during intern year.
- We have a 100% first time past rate on the core exam.
- Our residents match into top notch fellowship programs of their choice, which can be viewed on the alumni link on this website.
While you are looking at our program you should also check out all the wonderful things to see and do in Portland. It is a truly beautiful place with four seasons of outdoor activities to enjoy. The city has an extraordinary number of great restaurants. We enjoy a great cultural scene that includes music and performance arts of all types, a symphony and several theaters. There are also many great destinations in the region like Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport, Sugarloaf Mountain and many more.
Thanks for checking out our program. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You can reach our residency program manager, Michaela Wipfler at 207-662-4279.
Jennifer Talmadge, M.D.
MMC Diagnostic Radiology Residency Program
Yes. Life is Good Here! Find out why.
Watch and see why our Residents love Maine!