Apply & Contact
How to Apply
Residents in Pediatrics at The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital at Maine Medical Center are selected for training based on each applicant’s preparedness, ability, aptitude and academic qualifications as defined by the Program Director in consultation with the Director of Graduate Medical Education and Chair of the Department of Pediatrics and members of the Pediatric Recruitment and Selection Committee.
1) Current enrollment in an AAMC or AACOM approved medical school (applicants must successfully graduate from their school prior to commencement of residency) or graduation from an AAMC or AACOM approved medical school within the past 5 years.
2) A medical degree from a school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- A USMLE score of at least 200 on Step 1 and 215 on Step 2 examinations on first attempt OR a COMLEX score of at least 500 on both the Level 1 and Level 2 examinations on first attempt
- 12 months of “hands on” (not observership) clinical experience in the US, UK or Canada
- Certified or certification-eligible through the ECFMG (valid through the commencement of residency)*
- US citizenship, immigrant status or J-1 visa eligibility*
- Graduation from Medical School – 5 years from application date
*Required for International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
Applicants must use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) to apply. Prior to being selected as a match applicant, each candidate must be interviewed on site in order to assess personal qualities such as motivation, integrity and the ability to communicate. Such interviews are scheduled at the discretion of the Program Director.
Interviews are scheduled on Mondays and Fridays from late November through early January. The evening before our candidate interviews our residents invite candidates to a light dinner. There will also be an opportunity on interview day to meet with residents and to tour the hospital. The interview day begins at 7:00 AM and ends at approximately 3:30 PM.
Kelly Barnes, C-TAGME
Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator
Phone: (207) 662-2405
Maine Medical Center Department of Pediatrics
22 Bramhall Street
Portland, ME 04102