We ask you to complete a personal and family history form and to gather medical records before coming to the clinic. We will mail these forms to you after scheduling your visit.
Personal & Family History Form
This form asks questions about the cancers in your family and how old a person was when he or she had it. It is important that you try to complete this form before your clinic visit so that we can give you an accurate risk assessment. You can also download this form by clicking here.
If you have had a cancer or pre-cancerous finding, please send these medical records (such as pathology reports or colonoscopy records) to our clinic before your visit. We also ask you to contact relatives who have had cancer, and if possible, to get their medical records. We know that it may not be possible to gather these records before your visit. We will provide genetic counseling based on the information that you give us. If more records are needed, we can help you to get them after your visit.
Visits take up to two hours. A doctor with expertise in cancer genetics and a genetic counselor will talk with you about:
- Your family and medical history focusing on cancer
- The risk of cancer for you and your family due to genes, where you live and work, and lifestyle (such as what you eat, drink or smoke, how much physical activity you get) on cancer risk
- The hereditary cancer syndromes and patterns of inheritance that may exist in your family
- Ways to screen for cancer and how you can reduce your risk
- Risk to other family members
- Genetic testing, if indicated