There are two parts to PREP, a PREP phone call and a PREP visit. Every surgical patient will have a phone conversation. Some patients will also be asked to come to the PREP clinic for an in-person visit. This depends on the type of surgery, and any health conditions you have.
The PREP team is a group of providers with one goal in mind - to get you ready for surgery so that you have the best possible outcome. They will work closely with you and your primary care doctor to coordinate your care from the day you consider surgery, through full recovery. The team includes:
- Your surgeon
- Anesthesia doctors and mid-level providers
- Hospitalists (doctors who work in the hospital)
- Clinical and administrative ancillary staff
PREP calls are held Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM. These calls are not scheduled in advance. A nurse will call you before your surgery. If you are not able to speak at that time, that’s ok. You can call us back when you are ready.
PREP visits are scheduled Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM. If you need a PREP visit, it will be scheduled for you during your phone call.
Your PREP call can last anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. At that time, the nurse will review:
- What you can eat or drink before surgery
- Your health history
- Medicine you should, or should not take, before surgery
- Where to go on the day of your surgery
PREP visits are held at 335 Brighton Avenue, Portland, ME. This may last 1 to 2 hours, depending on who you will be meeting with and what tests you may need. During your visit you will meet with your PREP team to discuss:
- How you will be kept comfortable and safe during surgery
- Any health conditions that need to be addressed
Please have these items with you during your call and bring them to your visit:
- A list of all the medicines you take, the dosage, and then time you take them. This includes prescriptions, over the counter medicines, vitamins, and supplements
- A list of your allergies, including medicines, food, or medical supplies like gloves, tapes or bandages
- Any handouts or booklets given to you by your surgeon or nurse
- List and dates of your past surgeries
Please feel free to contact Clinical Manager, Kathleen Richards, RN or Program Manager, Sarah Dickson at (207) 662 -8217, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM.