The new rules are effective immediately for SMHC locations. They are intended to safeguard patients, visitors and staff during the coronavirus outbreak.
In response to the coronavirus outbreak, Southern Maine Health Care is limiting visitors to pediatric patients and other patients with special circumstances, effective Saturday, March 21, 6:00 a.m.
This is being done to limit community spread of the virus and help protect the safety of our patients, visitors and staff.
The new guidelines for visitors are as follows:
Starting Saturday at 6:00 a.m., no visitors are permitted on Southern Maine Health Care’s campus, except the following:
- Pediatrics (one parent/guardian at a time allowed in all areas)
- Obstetrics (one spouse/birth partner allowed in labor and delivery area)
- Day Surgery, often called outpatient or ambulatory surgery (one person involved in care)
- End-of-Life care (one visitor at a time for patients within 24 hours)
- Extraordinary circumstances (one person at a time), if presence is necessary for communication with care team or patient support (e.g., patient with disabilities)
- One person allowed for the purpose of picking up a patient for discharge
- One person allowed as an escort to emergency department, outpatient and ambulatory areas in some circumstances
These restrictions are for the protection of patients, employees, visitors and the public, are consistent with guidance from governmental authorities, and are adopted for the purpose of reducing the potential for spread of the COVID-19 virus. We ask the public to respect this policy for the health and safety of our community.
About Southern Maine Health Care
Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) is a national award-winning healthcare organization with a non-profit mission “to improve the health and health care of the communities we serve.” SMHC includes a full service, acute care medical center in Biddeford, with York County’s only inpatient mental health unit. Emergency care, surgical services and diagnostic and therapy services are available at SMHC’s Medical Centers in Biddeford and Sanford. SMHC offers primary care and multi-specialty physician services, diagnostic and therapy services and Walk-In Care centers in York County communities including Biddeford, Kennebunk, Saco, Sanford and Waterboro. SMHC is Joint Commission accredited and has been recognized for quality excellence by numerous outside organizations. SMHC is part of the MaineHealth system, a growing family of health care services in northern New England. To learn more, visit smhc.org.