The open enrollment period for selecting health insurance on the Health Insurance Marketplace is under way, and MaineHealth wants people to know that many affordable plans – including some with $0 premium options – are available.Read More
Pen Bay Medical Center volunteers share their time, talents, compassion and expertise with our patients, families, visitors and staff in dozens of areas and departments. Volunteering can be a rewarding and enriching experience for all. We look forward to exploring volunteer opportunities with you.
Minimum Requirements for Pen Bay Medical Center Volunteers:
- Must be 18 years of age or older (16 or older for select roles. If applicant is less than 18 years of age, parent or legal guardian must sign all documents.)
- Be willing to commit to a minimum of 4 hours per week, for a minimum of 6 months
- Complete and submit an application packet (see below)
- Participate in a personal interview
- Successfully complete mandatory orientation (1.5 days; usually offered twice per month)
- Must consent to a Criminal Background/ Sex Offender Registry Check
- Strictly adhere to confidentiality policy
- Provide authorization for your physician to complete a medical reference form
- Complete PPD (tuberculosis) & immunization screening through PBH Employee Health
- Successfully complete training in your assigned area
- Be a champion of Courteous Communication and Excellence Always.
- Must have a positive & professional attitude and a desire to help others
Please call 207-921-8553 for more information
The Knox Center offers many volunteer opportunities, whether working directly with patients or doing office work to help keep things running smoothly. In addition to being a meaningful way to serve to our community, there are many benefits to being a healthcare volunteer. Volunteering offers an opportunity to research a new career, meet new people and acquaint oneself with the community. Ask any volunteer and they will tell you their lives are richer for the experience!
Whatever your interest, hobby, or skill, most likely there is a way to share it as a volunteer. Most volunteer assignments can be tailored to meet an individual’s needs, interests and availability. Let us know what interests you, and we will work to find an opportunity that will benefit both you and our community!
For more information, please call 207-921-6850
We also welcome visits from our local schools and community groups. If you are interested in bringing your class or group to the Knox Center for a visit or to perform music or provide other forms of entertainment, please call Activities at 207-921-6851.
Quarry Hill has many volunteer opportunities to suit your interests, abilities and experience. To learn more about volunteering at Quarry Hill, please contact our Activity/Volunteer Coordinator.
Please call 207-921-6250
The Pen Bay Waldo Healthcare Foundation relies on volunteers throughout the year- but particularly during the summer months- to help prepare for our many community events and fundraisers. Volunteers also assist with office support and event planning year-round. To learn more about current volunteer opportunities with the Foundation, please call 207-921-6705
- Direct care volunteers provide companionship and support to hospice patients and their families. They are present as a friend or family member might be … reading out loud, running an errand, or just being there … listening, laughing, crying, holding hands. They are trained/oriented (30 hours) and coordinated by Coastal Family Hospice Volunteers. Call CFHV at 207-593-9355 for more information. For an application, click here.
- While Sussman House support volunteers don’t have direct patient interaction, they do all the things that make the Sussman House feel like home … welcoming visitors, baking, cooking, gardening, answering the phone, light office work, helping with special events.
- Whether supporting administration, comforting patients, or helping in clinics, volunteers are central to our work. To learn more about ways you can support our mission, call: 1-800-660-4867
Are you 16 to 18 years old and interested in a healthcare career? Join our Junior Summer Volunteer Program at Pen Bay Medical Center.
The summer program runs Monday – Thursday for eight weeks from June 26 to August 17. You must be able to commit to at least seven of the eight weeks. Volunteers will be assigned to two departments on the same day of the week for the duration of the eight week program.
Morning department assignment is 8:00 – 11:30 a.m., lunch is 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and the afternoon department assignment is 12:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Department assignments may include radiology, in-patient medical surgical unit, patient access reception and escort, education department, gift shop and human resources. Space is limited and placement in a specific hospital department cannot be guaranteed.
- A sincere interest in health care and a desire to help others
- Between the ages of 16 and 18
- Available from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. the same assigned day each week for at least seven of the eight weeks
- Have a positive and professional attitude, be respectful of everyone
- Be committed to confidentiality and patient safety
- If accepted, applicants must successfully complete all steps of the process detailed below and comply with all program guidelines
- Complete the application packet (providing parental or legal guardian consent on all documents)
- Successfully participate in the interview process
- Submit a completed health screening form and consent to a background check
- Successfully complete general orientation and department specific orientation as needed
- Experience the healthcare environment amongst a group of committed and caring healthcare professionals
- Personal and professional development
- Learn new skills
- Help others and your community
- Build your college resume
- Career exploration
- Be recognized for your contributions
Download a PBMC Junior Volunteer Application
Please call 207-921-8553 with questions.