There are different kinds of dialysis treatments.Choosing the right treatment is important. Talk to your provider about the treatment options.
Peritoneal dialysis needs to be done daily. This process is usually done while the patient is sleeping at home.
Peritoneal dialysis is done with a solution that is put into the abdominal cavity by a permanent catheter. The patient will undergo surgery to have the catheter placed.
- The solution goes into the abdominal cavity and enters the small blood vessels there.
- The fluid then absorbs the waste the patient's body created.
- The fluid then is then drained from the abdominal cavity.
Most people need to do dialysis treatments three times per week.
- An artificial kidney machine is attached to the patient. This is done by making an access point in the patient’s arm, leg or neck. These are called fistulas or grafts.
- The patient's blood goes into the artificial kidney where waste, extra chemicals and fluids are removed.
- The blood is then returned to the body.
The procedure takes about three to four hours to complete.