Strategic Goals and Objectives
Western Maine Health (WMH) will enhance community engagement and outreach opportunities to increase community awareness of the benefits of healthy lifestyles and to become the provider of choice in western Maine.
- WMH will develop and implement a plan to align its community education classes with the community health needs assessment priorities and strategic plan.
- WMH will collaborate with the Progress Center to develop a tracking system for patients given referrals for food insecurity program and metrics to monitor success.
Western Maine Health (WMH) will identify and deploy key strategies that will allow us to maintain financial sustainability.
- WMH will achieve the target FY17 operating and total margin.
- WMH will evaluate and develop recommendations regarding the migration of Internal Medicine to a provider-based rural health clinic service.
- WMH will assess and identify three priority areas for cutting the cost of care for the community, and develop related work plans for implementation in FY18.
Western Maine Health (WMH) will identify and deploy key strategies that will advance the community health priorities of obesity and behavioral health services.
- Adoption of the 5-2-1-0 adult obesity standard of care and implementation of the recommendations by all Western Maine Health clinical staff.
- Among the Family Medicine and Internal Medicine practices:
- A minimum of 50% clinical staff have completed training on the adult obesity standard of care
- A plan will be developed for the implementation of components of the adult obesity standard of care
- Implementation of the FY17 recommendations of the MaineHealth Opioid Task Force within Western Maine Health, as well as implementation of the SeHR Opioid guidelines.
Western Maine Health (WMH) will strive for top decile performance in quality, patient safety and patience experience.
- WMH will meet or exceed the targets for the following MaineHealth System Measures:
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c > 9%) Test for Diabetes
- Pediatric Body Mass Index (BMI) Plus 5210
- Provider Communication (Outpatient CG CAHPS survey)
- HCAHPS: Would Recommend
- Hospital Acquired Conditions (CAUTI, CLABSI)
- WMH will implement the Culture of Safety objectives within the FY17 MaineHealth Focused Goals.
- WMH will inform its efforts to meet or exceed the MaineHealth targets for HCAHPS through the implementation of a new Patient Advisory Council, which will be charged in providing the patient perspective for improvement of these measures.
- WMH will meet or exceed the MHACO targets for access to care in the primary care office and the overall rating of the provider as measured by our CG-CAHPS scores.
- WMH will implement Operational Excellence in 2017.
- WMH will develop and implement strategies for the management of patients with COPD across the continuum of care in our community in partnership with the MaineHealth Value Oversight Committee.
- WMH will achieve the Leapfrog recognition of top hospital by conducting a gap analysis of Leapfrog measures and implement improvements based on the findings prior to survey submission on June 30, 2017.
Western Maine Health (WMH) will ensure that its services meet the needs of the community and reflect the evolving standards of health care delivery.
- WMH will recruit one Internal Medicine physician and assess options for mitigating recruitment challenges
- Develop and implement plan to expand access for both current and new patients and assess best metrics (e.g., decreased ED utilization) to track performance on plan. Assess feasibility and value of urgent care as part of plan.
Inpatient Hospitalist Program
- Implement the expanded contract services of the Hospitalist program to full coverage from Maine Medical Center and achieve 90th percentile for the targeted metrics for patient satisfaction and quality.
- Three WMH representatives will complete palliative care training program, and a plan will be developed to implement a program at WMH for FY18.
Portfolio Analysis &Medical Staff Needs Assessment
- WMH will complete a Portfolio Analysis and a Medical Staff needs assessment to provide foundations for clinical planning across the continuum of care.
- WMH will identify opportunities based on the Western Regionalization Initiative to more efficiently and effectively deliver services, also reflecting the findings of the Portfolio Analysis and Medical Staff needs assessment.
System Service Lines
- WMH participate in the MaineHealth System Service Lines, including the Leadership Council of the operational Service Lines (Cardiovascular, Oncology, Behavioral Health and Pediatrics) and the Steering Committees of any new service lines.
Western Maine Health (WMH) will promote and invest in engagement and professional development of all employees throughout our system.
Recruitment and Retention
- Development of an onboarding/new hire assessment to identify gaps and areas of improvement in the WMH onboarding process, with implementation to begin January 2017.
- Coordinate with the Chief Medical Officer to create a cohesive plan of retention and recruitment for physicians.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies for three hard-to-fill staffing areas.
- Implement new reporting tool to enable leaders to log the results of employee rounding, in order to track trends and establish action plans in order to improve our employee engagement scores
Provider and Staff Engagement
- WMH will exceed the 75th percentile in staff and physician engagement by the Advisory Board 2017 engagement survey by continuing ongoing efforts to improve our culture of engagement.
Management Leadership Development
- Conduct a survey of department leadership to determine gaps in knowledge, skills and abilities and utilize survey findings to develop leadership educational sessions geared towards improving their abilities to conduct interviews, provide meaningful performance evaluations, and resolve conflicts.
Physician Leadership Development
- Identify two physicians to attend the MH Physician Leadership Development Program.
- Assess value to WMH and performance of MMC/Tufts program to-date, with related recommendations for next steps based on findings.
Implement Internal Medicine residency program.
View data on our seven priorities and progress on MaineHealth targets.