Learn about the full range of services offered by MaineHealth Care at Home.
Stephens Memorial Specialty Clinic - Oncology
199 Main Street
Norway, ME 04268
Now, the finest cancer care is close to home.
Because we care, we've assembled some of Maine's most talented caregivers to provide consultation and on-going cancer treatment right here at the Stephens Memorial Specialty Clinic. The surroundings are familiar; the care is state-of-the-art.
Meet Our Oncologist / Hematologist:
Peter Rubin, MD
McGill University - Montreal, QC
University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
Queen's University - Kingston, ON
University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
American Board of Internal Medicine
In partnership with MaineHealth our team of providers offers a multi-disciplinary approach to cancer care.
- William L. Medd, MD, FACP - Oncology Medical Director
- Peter Rubin, MD - Oncologist / Hematologist
- Alison Newton, RN - Director of Outpatient Services
- Linda McSherry, MS, ANP-BC, OCN - Certified Oncology Nurse Practitioner
- Patti-Ann Douglas, RN, OCN - Patient Care Navigator
- Shelly Thorp, BSN, RN, OCN - Director of Oncology and Infusion Services
- Bethany McGinnis, RN, OCN - Oncology Nurse (Infusion Center)
- Wendy Dillon, BSN, RN, OCN - Oncology Nurse (Infusion Center)
- Beth Frechette, RN - Registered Nurse (Infusion Center)
- Jeanne Rosato, BSN, RN - Registered Nurse (Infusion Center)
- Kayla Capponi, Social Worker (Infusion Center)
- Jen Casey, MA - Medical Assistant (Infusion Center)
- Pamela McAlister - Precertification Assistant and Financial Advocate
The Infusion Center at Stephens Memorial Hospital is an outpatient service offered to patients who have intravenous care needs. Our Infusion Center provides an extensive array of services provided by skilled certified oncology nurses. These services include treatment for chronic illnesses, chemotherapy, blood transfusions, intravenous therapy and central line maintenance.
Our Infusion Center offers private treatment areas, each equipped with a comfortable reclining lounge chair. iPads, WiFi, books, and games are available for our patients and families. The Infusion Center ensures privacy for our patients while allowing our compassionate nursing staff to closely monitor and provide excellent care.
For more information about our services, please contact: 207-743-6117
The Oncology Nurse Practitioner provides specialty care for oncology patients receiving chemotherapy in the Infusion Center. As part of our comprehensive approach, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner provides support and follow-up care to oncology patients while working collaboratively with Dr. Peter Rubin, Oncologist-Hematologist, Dr. William L. Medd, Medical Director of Oncology and the patient's primary care physician.
What to expect?
As part of your health care team, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will:
- Meet with you for Chemotherapy Teaching prior to the start of your treatment. At this time, you will receive a Treatment Workbook which includes your customized cancer care plan and educational information.
- Prior to each treatment, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will meet with patients individually and evaluate your oncology care plan for side effects. If needed, prescribe supportive medications and provide emotional support to you and your caregivers.
- During your treatment process the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will provide assessment of ongoing needs and addresses education deficits.
- At the end of your cancer treatment, the Oncology Nurse Practitioner will develop a patient centered Survivorship Care Plan and reviews this with you.
To provide comprehensive, compassionate care to patients undergoing cancer treatment.
About Our Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Linda McSherry MSN, ANP-C, OCN is an experienced Oncology Nurse Practitioner who has worked with oncology patients in our community for and many years. She earned her Master's Degree from Saint Josephs College of Maine and is an Oncology Certified Nurse by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation. She is Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Certified by the Oncology Nursing Society and is board certified as an Adult Nurse Practitioner by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Making decisions about cancer treatment isn't always easy. That's why having a Patient Care Navigator can help with all those tough choices. Our Patient Care Navigator is a nurse who specializes in working with patients diagnosed with cancer. The Patient Care Navigator is here to make sure you and your family have all the information you need to make the most informed and timely decision about your treatment plan.
What Services Does the Patient Care Navigator Provide?
As part of your health care team, the Patient Navigator will:
- Ease your concerns and answer any questions you may have.
- Provide information and literature relative to your specific diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care.
- Connect patients with community resources, support and health care information.
- Help patients keep track of, and get to appointments.
- Helping patients find appropriate sources to pay for healthcare needs.
Our goal is to assist cancer patients, caregivers and families in "bridging the gaps" within the healthcare system and decreasing barriers which may effect patient outcomes.
About Our Navigator:
Patti-Ann Douglas RN, OCN is an experienced Oncology Nurse , certified by the National Oncology Nurses Association. Patti-Ann earned her certification in Patient Navigation at the Harold P. Freeman Patient Navigation Institute in New York. This program is a nationally recognized program that offers intensive training and serves as the gold standard in patient navigation.
How to Participate:
It is recommended that all patients who are diagnosed with cancer take advantage of our patient care navigator program. This service will help by eliminating any barriers to quality care. If you are interested in learning more about our program or participating in our program please call 207-744-6173.
There are many local resources available for our patients.
- Breast Prosthesis Fittings - Stephens Memorial Hospital Women's Imaging Center - 207-743-1562, ext. 6079
- Cancer Support Group for Women - First Tuesday of every month 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - 207-744-6173
- Look Good Feel Better (ACS) - Stephens Memorial Hospital Patient Care Navigator - 207-744-6173
- Nutrition Support Services and Dietary Information - Stephens Memorial Hospital Dietitian - 207-744-6059
- Reiki - Stephens Memorial Hospital Infusion Center - 207-744-6117
- Lymphedema Therapy - Stephens Memorial Hospital Rehabilitation Department - 207-744-6160
- Social Worker - Stephens Memorial Hospital Social Worker - 207-743-1562, ext. 6999
- Healthy Oxford Hills - 207-739-6222
- Wound/Ostomy Nurse - Stephens Memorial Hospital Wound Clinic - 207-743-1562, ext. 6554
- MaineHealth Cancer Care Network
A Coordinated System of Care
Stephens Memorial Hospital is a proud partner of the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network, a coordinated system of care with the support of the Harold Alfond® Foundation and in affiliation with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.Learn More
Smoking doesn't just hurt the tobacco user. Secondhand smoke is a big problem for loved ones, too.
At MaineHealth, patients access complete cancer care, as close to home as possible.