Caring for children and adults with congenital heart disease requires a multidisciplinary effort. Our dedicated teams of doctors, nurses, and technicians are specifically trained and experienced to meet the unique clinical needs of congenital heart patients.
Team members work collaboratively, bringing their unique expertise to each case, which ensures a cohesive and integrated care plan for every patient. We are committed to ensuring the best possible care for children and adults with congenital heart disease in Northern New England.
Echocardiography has long been the mainstay of diagnostic imaging in structural heart disease. This test makes it possible for to see a beating heart in 3-dimensions, helping the doctor to make the best plan of care. Our echocardiography services include:
Transthoracic & Transesophageal Echocardiography: Ultrasound waves are used to examine the anatomy of the heart as well as heart function and blood flow.
Fetal Echocardiography: Ultrasound waves are used to examine the structure, function and rhythm of the fetal heart. Counseling on diagnosis, management and implications for pregnancy, labor and perinatal care are provided in close collaboration with your obstetrician.
Electrophysiology services at Maine Medical Partners - Congenital Heart, Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital, and Maine Medical Center provides expert comprehensive care for all rhythm disorders. We offer:
Rhythm and event monitoring
Transesophageal and intracardiac electrophysiological testing
Non-fluoroscopic electroanatomic rhythm mapping
Cardiac MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is quickly becoming an essential non-invasive imaging test to determine cardiac function and vascular structure. This test helps the doctor to see two-dimensional slices of the heart from any angle.
What is MRI?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a diagnostic imaging technology that uses strong magnet and radiofrequency waves to produce images of the heart and blood vessels. There is no radiation produced during acquisition of images by MRI. Because MRI allows us to non-invasively see inside the heart and blood vessels from any angle and with great clarity, it has replaced more invasive and time-consuming diagnostic modalities for many types of cardiac problems.
We offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient adult congenital heart services:
- Congenital cardiology diagnosis and management
- Advanced imaging with cardiac MRI and CT
- Congenital cardiac catheterization and transcatheter interventions
- Congenital arrhythmia management and electrophysiological procedures
- Congenital cardiac surgery
We care for adult patients with all forms of congenital heart conditions including:
- Newly diagnosed congenital heart defects such as atrial septal defects, ventricular septal defects, and patent foramen ovale
- Complex congenital heart disease who may have received care since childhood and now may require transition to adult medical services including family planning, genetic counseling, and ongoing cardiology care
- Aortic diseases due to connective tissue disorders such as Marfans syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos, Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Coronary artery anomalies and Kawasaki’s disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
For more information, call 207-303-1830