Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship Program
The MaineHealth cardiothoracic anesthesiology team is part of the largest cardiothoracic surgical program in Northern New England. As such, we are committed to sharing our knowledge and experience with select residents to ensure the ongoing delivery of excellent care in the communities we serve.
All of our cardiac anesthesiologists are certified by the National Board of Echocardiography in perioperative transesophageal echocardiography. Their teaching capacity, in conjunction with Maine Medical Center's high case volume provides an extraordinary training experience for residents who wish to specialize in adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology.
ACTA Fellowship Program Overview
The Maine Medical Center Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology (ACTA) Fellowship Program provides robust training adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology practice with both didactic, rotational, elective and project-based learning opportunities. Over the course of the year, fellows will gain mastery in all aspects of care of the cardiovascular patient; including:
- Preoperative evaluation and optimization
- Interpretation and application of preoperative testing
- Perioperative pharmacologic and physiologic evaluation and management
- Interpretation of invasive monitoring
- Intraoperative conduct of anesthesia
- Performance and interpretation of perioperative TEE
- Management of intra-aortic balloon counter pulsation, extracorporeal and implanted circulatory assist devices (ECMO and VADs)
- Cardiopulmonary bypass.
The fellow will interact with the entire care team, and be an integral part of the perioperative management for patients throughout their hospitalizations.