The project also took a step forward in the City of Portland’s review process.Read More
The MMC Nephrology Fellowship Program provides comprehensive training in all aspects of general nephrology, chronic kidney disease, hypertension, and end-stage renal disease care. MMC has a faculty of 11 board-certified nephrologists with special clinical and research expertise in:
- Acute kidney injury
- Continuous renal replacement therapies
- Nephrolithiasis care and prevention
- Dialysis vascular access intervention
- Novel immunosuppressive agent therapies
- Renovascular disease and hypertension
- Chronic dialysis rehabilitative care
- Medical education research
Special ambulatory care educational opportunities include:
- Kidney Stone Prevention care and research with Dr. Eric Taylor - an internationally recognized expert in nephrolithiasis
- Resistant hypertension clinic
- Acute kidney injury clinic (coming soon for 2017)
- Longitudinal dialysis care experience
The Maine Transplant Program has outcomes on par with the highest national benchmarks and:
- Performs approximately 50-60 new kidney transplant each year
- Had the highest ratio of live donor to deceased organ donor transplants in the nation for 2015
- Has two full time transplant surgeons and four transplant nephrologists who are integral to fellow training
- Incorporates fellows into all phases of transplant evaluation and care
Several novel programs in our division include:
- Interventional Nephrology – Drs. Robert Zimmerman and Mihai Cosma provide dialysis vascular access intervention and education
- Specific rotations and career opportunities for fellows in this area
- Supervision of MMC therapeutic plasma exchange services at MMC
- Diagnostic renal ultrasonography at our outpatient clinics
Laboratory and clinical research in our division is supported by MMCRI. Many of our faculty members are principal investigators involved with clinical research projects and several MMCRI investigators carry on bench research in the realm of nephrology.
Our program has been closely attuned to trends in graduate medical education in recent years and is responsive to the ideas and needs of our fellows, frequently seeking feedback from our trainees to enhance our curriculum. We have state-of-the-art simulation facilities and incorporate simulation into our curriculum. Most recently, we have implemented milestones assessments into feedback to our fellows and we are enhancing our activities in quality and patient safety in the spirit of the Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER). Our graduates have a 100% pass rate on the American Board of Internal Medicine Nephrology Board Certification exams, and former fellows have moved on to a variety of successful community and academic positions across the country.
I am happy to answer specific inquiries about our program and look forward to your application.
Eric Taylor, M.D.
Program Director, Nephrology Fellowship Program