Maine Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center
The Maine Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center (MHTC) provides comprehensive care for bleeding disorders and is the only one of its kind in the state of Maine. Our Center currently provides treatment to more than 300 patients from Maine and New Hampshire.
We are committed to helping our patients navigate through all their care needs and work hard to create seamless coordination of care. Our Center provides:
- New, annual and follow-up visits
- Women’s Clinic
- Factor infusions (a hemophilia treatment)
- Educational outreach to:
- Patients, family, and caregivers
- School teachers and support staff
- Local communities
- Visiting Nurse Associations and Homecare Companies
- Support for patients with emotional or mental health concerns related to their condition
- Access to genetic counseling
- Hemophilia research
- Travel letters to bring when flying (if you are planning on traveling, please contact us at least three weeks in advance)
- MHTC Factor Program is a federally designated 340B Program
Our patient care team includes hematologists (doctors specially trained to treat bleeding disorders), an obstetrician-gynecologist (a doctor who specializes in caring for the female reproductive system), nurses, a physical therapist, a social worker, and a pediatric dentist.
Treatment for people with hemophilia usually includes factor replacement therapy. This treatment is an infusion (injection into the bloodstream) of medication to prevent or control bleeding. We know the medications and supplies that treat bleeding disorders can be very expensive. As a federally-designated hemophilia treatment center, MHTC can provide these products to patients through the MHTC Factor Program. Any profit earned by the MHTC Factor Program is returned directly to all MHTC patients through services such outreach, education, and resource support. We work with all families to ensure they have access to financial assistance.