- Maine’s largest and most complete resource for diagnosing and managing spinal problems
- An emphasis on conservative (non-surgical) treatments whenever possible
- Treatment plans that are personalized to your individual needs and lifestyle
- A comprehensive network of trusted community-based providers so you are matched with the most appropriate provider and can receive ongoing care close to home
- Affiliation with northern New England’s largest and most experienced team of neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons so when surgery is necessary, you can see a surgeon quickly and easily
- A focus on patient education to empower you to get and keep your spine healthy
- Open, honest communication with you and your entire care team
- Access to innovative new treatments as part of research studies that MMC is involved in – something no other hospital in Maine can offer
These are the spinal problems we see most often:
- Ruptured (or herniated) disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Osteoarthritis of the spine
- Degenerative disc disease
- Sports-related spinal injury
Quality Outcomes in Spinal Surgery FY 2013
- 3.12 days average length of stay compared with the national benchmark of 3.75 days
- 1.3% spine readmissions rate for FY13.
- 0.45% laminectomy infection rate compared with the national average of 1.4%
- 0.55% spine fusion infection rate compared with the national average of 2.23%
Surgical Site Infections
- Our goal is zero surgical site infections for our patients that have surgery.
- Our providers take this responsibility seriously through regular case review and observation of best practices while in the operating room.
- Our laminectomy/laminotomy infection rate is well below national benchmarks for these surgeries across the country.
- Our spinal fusion infection rate is well below national benchmarks for this surgery across the country.
- Even with rates well below national benchmarks we are constantly striving to eliminate infections in our surgical patients.
- Less than 6 days from the time your doctor calls us to when you are seen by one of our specialists.
- If you need surgery: less than 5 days from the time you are seen by one of our surgeons to your surgery.
- Less than 2 days from the time you are sent home after surgery to when one of our specialty nurses call you to see how you are doing.
- If you have spinal fusion surgery, our goal is to have you home in three days or less.
Chronic back pain brought Charlie to MMC for a life-changing, minimally invasive procedure. The drive from Massachusetts took longer than the surgery. Charlie found that everyone at MMC and Maine Medical Partners — Neurosurgery & Spine were centered around his needs—from diagnosis to the delivery of an increased quality of life.