Your doctor may recommend having your thyroid tested to make sure that a problem with the thyroid isn’t causing the symptoms.
Most of the time, postpartum depression is best treated with counseling and medication.
Home treatment options
Your provider may recommend other strategies to help you feel better, including:
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Avoid drinking excessive alcohol and caffeine
- Spend some time outside
- Exercise if your body is ready to do so
- Spend time with family and friends
- Rest and sleep
- Join a new-mother support group
- Ask for help when you need it