Home Palliative Care
At MaineHealth Care at Home, palliative care is specialized interdisciplinary care for people with serious illness or injury. The focus is on managing the symptoms of illness, relieving pain and helping with the emotional stress of serious illness. The aim is to improve quality of life.
Who can receive palliative care?
You do not need to have a terminal diagnosis to receive palliative care. Palliative care at home is for patients with advanced or life-threatening illness or injury. Palliative care can be received by patients at any time, at any stage of illness, and can be part of a plan that includes active treatment. Palliative care is for both adults and children. Learn more about home-based pediatric palliative care.
Palliative care at home provides:
- Specially trained nurses, social workers, home health aides and rehabilitation therapists
- Excellent pain and symptom management
- Assistance with medical, emotional, social and spiritual concerns
- Education regarding treatment options and goals
- Coordination of care with your doctor and other healthcare providers
- Consultation with a physician certified in palliative care
Our palliative care team follows you through the course of your illness and can help with the issues surrounding advance directives, end-of-life care and transitioning to hospice as needed.
Palliative care benefits
- Reduces the severity of disease symptoms
- Promotes effective pain management
- Matches treatment plans with patient/family goal
- Strives for the best possible quality of life
MaineHealth Care at Home offers home-based end-of-life care. Learn more about home health hospice care and Sussman House, a home-away-from-home that provides compassionate end-of-life care.
Here is the MaineHealth Care at Home postal address:
- MaineHealth Care at Home
- 15 Industrial Park Road
- Saco, Maine 04072
Here is the MaineHealth Care at Home phone and fax numbers:
- Phone: 207-284-4566
- 800-660-4867 toll-free
- 207-282-4148 fax