Life expectancy in the United States has increased significantly, from 49 years in 1900 to 78.49 years in 2012. Maine, like the rest of the United States is getting older. In fact, in 2004 Maine was the “oldest” state in the union, with the highest median age. In 2000, about 14% of Maine’s population was 65 or over. But over the next two and a half decades, the population 65 and older will grow to comprise 22% of Maine’s population. In absolute numbers, between 2000 and 2030, Maine’s population of those aged 65 or over will more than double from 181,000 to 397,000.
Late life is a time of transitions, with increased vulnerability to losses and illnesses that can lead to problems in emotion, behavior, as well as in memory and other cognitive abilities. Our team’s goals are to identify the nature and causes of these common problems, to use the most effective treatments available to help restore mental health, and to discover strategies to enhance resilience and better manage the distinctive stressors of late life. As the only multi-disciplinary specialized psychiatric practice for geriatric patients in Maine, we cater to a large section of a growing population.
Our team provides:
- Psychiatric Evaluation
- Recommendations for Psychiatric Treatment
- Individual Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
These services help to promote our high rate of patient satisfaction and proven success as evidenced by ongoing outcome measurement. Our offices are centralized in Portland, making us available and convenient to the community.
As part of the MMC/SHH Mental Health Network, the Division of Outpatient Psychiatry is central to our integrated delivery system through: Caring for our community, Educating tomorrow's caregivers, and Researching new ways to provide care. Maine Medical Center's Outpatient Psychiatry Service provides timely assessments, expert evaluation and treatment to individuals who experience psychiatric or co-occurring substance-abuse disorders.
We embrace a recovery based philosophy of care, partnering with patients and their families to optimize quality of life. We achieve this by:
- Providing comprehensive, coordinated team based care.
- Providing treatment that is informed by outcomes and evidence.
- Committing to ongoing education and professional development of staff and trainees.
- Embracing research as an integral part of our work.
- Evaluating and allocating resources to meet defined patient population and trainee needs.
- Engaging in continuous process and quality improvement as part of our culture.
- Using technologies to maximize safety and efficiency
All new appointments are made through our Referral Center. The Center's staff will assist you in making a referral and match your needs to the best type of service we provide.
Services for Primary Care Physicians
Our expertise is in the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric and substance abuse disorders. We take pride in assisting local primary care physicians in delivering safe and effective mental health treatment, with the best outcomes for their patients.
These professionals can call on us for the following services:
- Diagnosing Psychiatric Issues
- Confirming Psychiatric and Addiction Diagnoses
- Europsychological Evaluations